Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Setting up and Orienting SMART Podium ID422W

We have some of old SMART podiums hanging around and I help people with them so infrequently that I have to make a post to remember how to get it set up and orient it. My main problem is that I keep thinking of the word "calibrate" rather than "orient." The new SMART podiums have a hard button on the top so it's easier.

My first step was to figure out what model SMART podium we have. At some point, I figured out it was written on a label in the back.

Then I downloaded the drivers from here after verifying they weren't in the UWEC software catalog. I just downloaded the drivers, not the SMART notebook software. I've found it mostly useless, personally. It is possible to download a whole bunch of stuff if you want, which makes the download excruciatingly long. My recommendation is to keep it simple. This time the download took less than 10 minutes.

I connected the SMART podium to the computer via VGA and there's also a USB connector that makes the pen work. The SMART podium also needs power since it's basically a monitor.

Here is the user manual. Page 23 explains how to orient it but pressing the two buttons together didn't work for me. I opened up the toolbar that will annoy me constantly now on the left side of the screen and clicked the cog for settings. Orient is in there.

I'm hoping to find this thing a home with someone who will use it to make videos for a hybrid, flipped, or online class. It is a very nice way to be able to annotate and record using a program like Camtasia or Screencast-o-matic.

Image from http://blog.svconline.com/briefingroom/2009/06/22/smart-unveils-new-widescreen-interactive-whiteboard-system/

1 comment:

  1. The user friendly design can be effortlessly controlled from the menus on both side of the easy board. Whilst standing near the board you can easily avoid the projected shadows whilst still freely controlling all the functions of the board.

    Rostrum Digital Podium | Interactive Whiteboard

    ReplyDelete