Monday, July 9, 2012

How to Take a Screenshot of a Drop Down Menu

One thing I love about my Mac is the ability to just click Command + Shift + 4 to take a screenshot. It will even take screenshots of right click menus or items I am hovering my mouse over. Sometimes those things are really important! I had difficulty figuring this out on Windows 7 because Print Screen did nothing, but the amazing Beth Kranz knew how to do it!  Here you go:
  1. Open up the Snipping Tool.
  2. Hit the Escape button. 
  3. Bring up the info/text you are trying to grab (right click, hover, whatever you need to do). 
  4. Press Control and Print Screen at the same time. You should get the same crosshairs you normally do with the Snipping Tool. Use your mouse to select the area you want to grab and work as usual with the Snipping Tool. Voila! 

12 comments:

  1. I had to press Ctrl + Fcn + Prnt Scrn on my laptop in order to get the crosshairs. But, THANKS! - very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both April and MZYZR. I swear I was going to throw my laptop across the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, this is so useful, yet so hidden. Why do they make this such a challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing April. And thank you Beth Kranz... Very useful tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks April, I have been looking for this Tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That worked nicely for me - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot April, just used this tip and it was a big help

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was very helpful. Thank you~!

    ReplyDelete