Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Increasing Your YouTube Time Limit

Did you know YouTube has a default 15-minute time limit? It's true. You can get around this by verifying your account, which basically means giving them your cell phone number so they can send you a verification code which you type into the computer, verifying you are a human, I guess!

Before I tell you how to do this, I just want to make sure you know that watching something online that is longer than 15 minutes can seem like an eternity to the viewer, especially since other distractions are very easily accessed on a computer. When I open up a video that is longer than 10 minutes, I really evaluate if I'm up for this type of commitment. If possible, chunk your content down to 5-10 minutes. That said, sometimes there is a reason to have a longer video.

To increase your time limit, go to the Upload page on YouTube (in the yellow box below).


Then click "increase your limit" toward the bottom of the screen. You will be asked for your number and sent a text with a verification code, which you will type in to the next screen.


Regardless of length, videos need to be 20 GB or less.

7 comments:

  1. The increase your limit button isn't there on my account. Does that mean that my account is already verified?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed your question. I think that does mean your account is already verified. I don't see it on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't work for me. The "Increase Your Limit" button isn't there. Is there another way to do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got at least ONE worldwide copyright violation. That's why. Your account is not in good standing.

      Delete
    2. That's a good point - a user cannot increase their time limit if they are not in good standing or they have worldwide content ID blocks. Here's a link: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=71673

      Delete
  4. Am i the only one here that actually LIKES longer videos, gives me something to listen to while i'm playing Minecraft.

    ReplyDelete